Sunday, February 13, 2011

reset button

This morning, I went to the charity shop and got rid of a full bag of clothes and accessories.

Whenever I need a boost of optimism in life, I find out that purging unnecessary items is a very reliable way to make myself feel better. Purging and decluttering is like a "reset button" for me. I don't think I would ever be able to achieve the minimalistic way of living, nor would I want to adhere this philosophy: though I'm more of a person who tries to avoid consumerism, I'm too much of a materialistic person to be able to embrace minimalism. In fact, it's very easy for me to get emotionally attached to things and I love to be surrounded by beautiful and well-made items.

But right now, I need to release myself from all the crappy superfluous stuff that I don't need in order to make room to things I use, I wear and I love; superfluous things are negative distractions to me. Hopefully, by summer, I'll be successful in that matter. In other words, I just want to own the right amount of things in proportion of the space that I have, and eventually, to have more discernment when it comes to my buying habits.

jeans: h&m
everything else is vintage

5 comments:

  1. ahh the faint smell of fresh air after a good decluttering :) I am sometimes reluctant of giving away some items in fear that I will want them back again one day dreaming of their prescence in an outfit. glad the reset button works for you ! great sweater by the way and the jeans are so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look beautiful. i absolutely agree, although i call it 'fashion bulimia' - not as elegant a phrase! sometimes giving things away is a terrible idea but i hope i'm learning to discern by giving away poorer quality things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for re-sets! I've done this recently as well and am carefully planning my spring/summer wardrobe. I think a lot of us have become tired of fashion's crazy cycle and are looking for authenticity and quality. Can't wait to see how your evolution proceeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the self-discipline to purge, I like to hoard too much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. really love your outfit! great style!!
    http://juliasstyleutopia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. So thank you for taking your time to write down your thoughts. And don't forget to follow me if you like the content of my blog! :)