Monday, November 22, 2010

behind the veil

Vaporous she stands
On her own but not quite alone
In between, a thin veil
Separates a frail body
From hundred thousands of hands
Acclaiming the rise of a star
  
So who's the person behind this veil? Her name is Faye Wong. And she is THE style icon of Asia. Even if people don't agree with me, she still is THE style icon of Asia. End of discussion. ;-)

     When it comes to Faye Wong, I get totally emotional and irrational. I just can't help it. She's the only star I've been looking up to her since I was twelve. She is the "Justin Bieber" of my teenage years, but don't get me wrong on that: I don't mean that I fancied her, neither I wanted to marry her nor have her baby(!)... It only means that I would go COMPLETELY crazy, teary, and hyperventilating to the point of fainting if I ever happened to see her live, in flesh and blood! Unfortunately for me, leaving on the wrong continent prevented me from pulling a "Justin Bieber's fan" on her. Maybe I should rephrase my last sentence... FORTUNATELY (for her, and for my own reputation), living on the wrong continent prevented me from pulling a "Justin Bieber's fan" on her.

     Known as the Mandopop queen of Asia, Faye Wong's voice is graceful, soft, melodic, and above all, fully mastered to give even to the lamest love song ballad a quality that can reach out the most heart-hardened listener's emotions (except for my boyfriend who finds her songs tacky...Whatever...). Her beautiful voice is really what captivated me right in the beginning. In an era where looks is primordial to the staying power of a rising star, thankfully, Faye Wong also got that! Not only does she stand tall, slim and charismatic on-stage, she's also granted with a tasteful fashion sense that, combined with her musical talent, works magic in order to collect hords of die-hard fans among asian and oversea's countries.

     Now at forty-one (it's incredible how she still looks like she's in her early 30's!), the proud mother of two beautiful daughters, she's making a comeback after a five-years career hiatus, to the great contentment of her faithful fans. Five years is such a loooooooooong time when I get to think about it... That was in 2005... Youtube was merely known, Facebook was on its way to sign-up more than 500 millions active users, and Lady Gaga hasn't yet taken the world of entertainment to the level of "questionable" taste... So in my opinion, five years is a long period, especially for a desperate fan like me. Earlier this month, she held a serie of concerts in Beijing and right now, another serie of concerts started in Shanghai. Honestly, from the photos and videos I've seen on the web, I'm so happy that a lot of efforts had been put into the visual and fashion direction and conception, reaffirming once again her style icon status. Let's cross our fingers that her new music material will be on its way sooner than later!

My favorite photos of her Beijing 2010 concert in which you can see Faye Wong sporting fabulous looks related to the change of seasons:
Backstage all in white
Winter

Summer
Perched up high on a phoenix platform
Pastel colours and lightweight fabrics for a Summer look
Autumn with gorgeous details
Autumn
Winter look (rebirth from seed)
For this scene effect, there was a gigantic 60° inclined mirror on stage. Absolutely magical! A set-up by the talented Wong Kar Wai.
Everything is to die for... the cape, the cropped top, the skirt and the knee high leather boots (that you can't see here).
Make-up done by Hong-Kong based make-up artist, Zing. Also a long-time friend of Faye Wong.
Credits:
Photos via CN News, Faye Wong Today, All About Ah Faye Forum



5 comments:

  1. wow, great post! I did not know about this artist. thanks for posting and letting us all know!

    xx
    AZD
    http://www.xAZDdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 this post, you find such beautiful photos! I don't really like the majority of Chinese/Canto pop stars but Faye Wong is unique. Her songs can be commercial but her artistic vision are always so strong, and her voice is beautiful. I love her early albums (all the way until 1997) so much, and I would like to see her in concert in Taiwan but unfortunately I have no money T_T so gutted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know how your comments made me happy. The fact that you both appreciated this post and the photos is great!

    @Miss Woo: I agree on everything you wrote. And me too, I can't afford to fly there for her concert...such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. someone from class travelled all the way to beijing this month to see her in concert. we all called him crazy.

    your post actually made his actions sound legitimate. style wise i'd have to agree and just bask in it's amazingness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend is very lucky...NOT crazy. Please let him know! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. So thank you for taking your time to write down your thoughts. And don't forget to follow me if you like the content of my blog! :)